Sigh! What a year! And yet I can’t help but say, what a GOD! Flipping through my bullet journal really has me raising my hands in praise, because sheey, what a Dope God! God no go shame us was my mantra half way through it, may be from like September. God gat me held me through the tumultuous first half of this crazy year. At some point, all I did was survive and that in itself was enough. This year has been crazy, but it’s been a good one too, KG Brian said the other day that, it’s a bad year, not a bad life and I immediately shifted perspective, so with only a few hours left, let’s put this to a wrap.
What I learnt this year.
- Clients are not necessarily your friends. They can be friends but it’s not a MUST.
- Running to God doesn’t have to look the same every other day. Run to Him still.
- We all get 24 hours baby!
- Grief is a process, never looking the same every time and that’s still absolutely okay.
- You get what you’re worth + what you bargain for. (I learnt this from a Twitter thread and whew!)
- You don’t need to get back every opportunity you miss because sometimes there isn’t a next time.
- Stop clinging for dear life to tables you have to a carry a seat and have to fix yourself, for Godsakes, child, get up and leave. You’re not valued here.
- Build your own damn table.
- Praying on boda bodas can save your day and it will.
- Choose your hard. Literally every other day.
- God doesn’t sleep or slumber. Girrrlll, He knows!
- Growth can be Hella messy and so damn beautiful at the same time. Shine still baby, shine!
- Celebrate your people with everything in you. See Sama’s status for inspiration.
- Close some doors even without an explanation. Just close the damn door!
- Consistency is a blessing.
- Listen with everything, if and when you decide to listen.
- Careful who you spend time with,they have a ridiculous effect on you.
- Effort is errythang!
- Hold on to your mother’s hope. Somedays, that’s all you did.
- Gratitude is a must!
- Love yours.
- Music is therapy. I mean, music is therapy!
Things I am leaving in 2020.
- The need to compensate because I missed a gig or dinner or anything!
- The need to impress and please, except if I am doing it for me.
- Fixing myself on tables I am not valued or tolerated. Bye Felicia!
- Comparing; myself, my pain, other people. Not anymore.
- Listening to shallow conversations because I should.
- Friendships where I lose myself or parts of myself.
What I am carrying into 2021?
- Self care. Whatever way that looks for me.
- Clarity especially mental clarity.
- The ability to listen to my own voice without questioning it through the voice of others
- The ability to not lose my cool over someone’s else mood + small small things
- Eating healthy and working out CONSISTENTLY!
- Giving others room to grow and bloom and choose their way!
- Doing instead of over planning and waiting.
With that, happy new year folks!
Thank you for being a big part of my 2020. It has meant so much to my heart. My heart goes out to those who lost their loved ones; may God comfort and strengthen you. My heart also goes out to those who had a particularly difficult year, may you remember that He is close to the broken hearted. May you find strength in His relentless and reckless love.
May 2021 be good to you. May the Lord perfect that which concerns you and yours. May your cups overflow with cheer, joy and stomach-hurting-iam-out-of-breath laughter. May the things on your vision board come to pass! The Lord bless and keep you!
See y’all in 2021!